Accommodations in Gorredijk

Gorredijk - in the Friesian officially called Gordyk - is the largest village in the municipality of Opsterland with more than 7000 inhabitants. The town of Gorredijk runs the Opsterland Compagnonsvaart. Gorredijk is a so-called "Vlecke" created by turfwinning. Gorredijk was in the past the place where things were imported, stored and traded. A nickname of the Gordyksters is therefore "handcuffs". For 20 years, the Gordykster Merke (annual market) was still known for the cattle trade, but it is now past.

In the past, Gorredijk looked different. Extensive highland areas covered South-East Friesland. This peat was demolished later, and this "industry" attracted a lot of people to these then densely populated areas. The original inhabitants were farmers. They cultivated: buckwheat, oats, rye, peas, beans, flax and herbs. They also kept sheep and bees. Cattle were kept low.

A canal was needed for the transportation of peat. In 1622 this was not yet, but in 1630 it is called. The burial of the Hegedyk around 1631 is considered to be the "starting point" of the cricket Gordyk. So a channel came to the Gorrines. There was a first house at the "Hooge wech", soon followed by several. Over the hole in the dike came a highwood, where the turf shavings with beamed mast could pass through.

Gorredijk counted six mills until around 1900: The Morgenster grain mill, a wood sawmill, a second grain mill at the mill, a run mill, a third grain mill De Vlieger and another fourth grain mill De Hoop. In addition, Gorredijk has twenty entries in the national register, including the former reformed church, Kerk van Kortezwaag and the Museum Opsterland.

 

               

 

Copyright 1993 - 2018 | Centrum voor Groepsaccommodaties

Reservation system by Booking Experts