Accommodations in Swolgen

Swolgen (locally pronounced as Zwollege) is a church village in the municipality of Horst aan de Maas and is located in North Limburg. The village has more than 1100 inhabitants and belonged to the former municipality of Meerlo-Wanssum until 2010 until the year 1969 at the former municipality of Meerlo.

Swollen is surrounded by nature on heath, forests, friends (Tienraijse and Swolgenderheide and the Schuitwater nature reserve), as well as asparagus and mushroom farms. The old parsonage and the farm the Gun have become overnight accommodation. The Pieterpad route runs alongside.

The Mansion or Hoeve de Gun is first mentioned in 1321 in a loan act when Seger van Broeckhuysen gave his own (allodial) good to Mr. van Heinsberg. It is a still existing country house. The Saint Lambert church dates from the beginning of the 13th century (as found in the foundations). In the 16th century it became a late Gothic hall church. In 1877 and 1884 the church was restored, but in 1944 it was destroyed for the most part. Only the 15th century choir could be preserved and, as an apse, forms part of the present modern church, built in 1952. In June 2007, a large part of the saints, and other objects from the church, were stolen by burglars.

 

               

 

Copyright 1993 - 2018 | Centrum voor Groepsaccommodaties

Online reservation system by Booking Experts